Thursday, April 8, 2010

Musings After Down Under

We’ve been home from Down Under for two full days now, but my body clock is still wildly out of control. I went to bed last night at Midnight and woke at 3:45 this morning. Although I tried reading myself back to sleep, it didn’t work, so I got up at 5:00.

There is something wonderful about being up so early that it’s both dark and quiet outside. I watched a little TV while clearing out the dishwasher, then began wandering around the Internet. Strangely, a book that a friend recommended while we were in New Zealand is only available on Kindle in the U.S. What the heck is that about?

I continue to marvel as I recall the places we went and the experiences we had. The contrasts in landscapes and weather over the 19 days we were in New Zealand and Australia were fairly extreme. In fact we went from an arid climate to a rainy climate in one three-hour flight. Overall, it was a bit like being a human pinball.

We were on and off planes, trains, buses and boats. We walked, we climbed and some even took a ride on a camel. We saw creatures that exist nowhere else on the planet. We were exposed to an avalanche of information, including history, geography, anthropology, economy and politics, among other subjects. We also took in a fair amount of myth and fable, some of it extemporaneously composed by drivers and guides.

The trip reinforced both my love of home and my yen for travel. Going away, especially when you’re moving as much as we did from place to place, different pillows each night for our heads, is a wearing experience, however delightful. Coming home from such a mind-boggling adventure is reassuring and comfortable.

Our next big adventure is a cruise to Alaska this summer. I’m glad we have some time in our usual habitat to allow anticipation of that trip, even as we continue to absorb the images from Down Under. Finding the balance in our lives is always the key. It’s fun, though, to shake things up from time to time, then find the balance anew. Traveling is a wonderful way to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment